Bad writing

5 replies [Last post]
orangejumpsuit's picture

i think this site is just a lot of people taking turns talking. like their is no repore and thats because ive seen like more creative poetry at a highschool coffeehouse night. You people obviously are content with forms that exist (in which case why write poetry) or you are like non readers (except maybe like dan brown novels). In either case I am apalled at the lack of diverse thought and unique expression. Its like a bunch of sunday school teachers and jock norms. Wake the fuck up people. I wish i wasnt afflicted so I could stop writing or havent been kicked out of other poetry sites because like yourselves other poetry sites are filled with sub mediocore  who dont know a hawk from sarin gas. I have to do this or il shoot myself in the face whats your excuse.   

allets's picture
Not For The Squeamish

I just discovered this site while looking for some place to let the pp poets know that I'm shutting my private messageing down for a while. I find a writer without empathy or understanding of how writers evolve and grow. No one is born a great artist, it comes with hard work and starts as something to try out. When a writer gets totally absorbed in the act of producing poetics, the term of contribution can be weeks or lifetimes. Having done it all from learning, studying the "greats" and the not so greats, reading twice at the Detroit Institute of Arts and three times for the Detroit Public Library Main Branch, there is a lot in poetics I 've seen or read. As an editor and a one time frequent reader to live audiences as featured reader, I found this rant rather refreshing.

I don't agree with it's content, but I've heard truly famous writers with degrees from major world universities and honorary degrees by the stack, awards to eny and university professorships who couldn't write without the help of a ghost writer. We are all at different ages, stages, and pages in our work output and to have heart enough to stick to literature as hobby or mild interest or something to attempt vs professional writers who make big dollars producing it prolifically (like Dan Brown and Stephen King and Tom Clancy) or those who win Pulitzers and Nobels in Literature, there is room for everyone.

I have thrown books away. Offensive, and in one case I was so fed up with poetry I threw away my book on Prosody because of my addiction to the art and the heartache associated with the publishing industry in total from news to novels and poetry to rap lyrics. I came back, but there is an edge to be avoided in pursuit of publication; anger turns to questionable and rash acts that once put out there can not be recalled. Therein lives the power of the published word - and inherently there is a responsibility to be sensitive to a tremendously polarized readership.

I am closing down for a while, to write maybe, to read others of course, but communication has become draining. In my recent decision to alter perspective and slant toward happy concepts and actions and verses and conversations, I have found obsessions, racism, sexism, confusion, anti-intellectualism, bad grammar (some of it my own), heads in the sand, and those refusing to delve deeply into the study of poetry. Here at PostPoems all of the above is encouraged by the other pp poets because all of us (and I speak for all of us including the ranter of note) have been there or somewhere similar during the course of our writing experience and experimentation.

Conversely, there are incredible artists on PostPoems, potentially genius writers here, lovers of their endeavors for multiple reasons and goals; mostly there are kind hearted and mentally sound egos spewing from the rooftops their concepualizations of beauty and enchantment and love and sympathy/empathy. I love poetry and poets - poetry can hurt and whenever humans are involved in any enterprise or past time, there is hurt that just happens. This rant gave me pause. I ask, the words convey ultimately the caliber of writing is not up to perhaps industry standards. In professional circles, believe it, there are dead files full of just that in editor's offices. Still, if you work at one thing long enough, you are bound to get better at it. That has always been my view, but I must add a codicil: Some will die never having perfected their literary art goals. We can not all be famous or world renowned, rich and venerated, but in the small world of PostPoems there is opportunity for a platform to try or not.

I'm exhausted again with poetry. The mind bends and, for me, changing genres is the best restorative. Some poets leave PP to paint or film or work long hours to fulfill other aims and dreams. Some just leave and never return. (Bye the bye, has anyone heard from Bern?)

See, totally emersed in poets and poetry again. I'm taking a break. Not a whole year like I almost did once, a month or so.

Keep writing and let the ranters rant - at PostPoems ranting is a tradition and all writing has value. All of it - good, bad, evil, oppresive, expressive, conditional, experimental, awful, exceptional, religious, philosophical, political, and yes, occasionally the perfect poem, commentary, exasperational, elevational, and the rant. Freedom to say will always rock - I will see you daily, but I need to talk to you later - Love and Prayers and best of the best to you all every hour of every day - Yours In Writing, Stella L. Crews. (allets aka Lady A).

Ranter: Rhetoric is an artform - to rant, you can't leave home without it. :D

KindredSpirit's picture
The middle of the night

Reading a rant

Who would ever think

It would come to that

It's like

John Couger Mellencamp once said

There is all them

Little Pink Houses Out There

KS

Callis.at.the.Palace's picture
Go home

You're drunk.

"Where do you go when nowhere feels like home?"-FBMF

schmuckjones's picture
Nobody gives a Fuck what you think

Just like the way you don't give a fuck what I think.  So talk.

orangejumpsuit's picture
good start

you think? Not really. this is exactly the kind of brilliant repartee that is missing from the rest of the site. I dont know if i can ever delve into the real insight of your thoughts. If one of you could make anything listenable of the limbic impulses that move you from the sofa to the desk it would fall well short of our friends epihanic inducing comment here but lets try.