Understanding life.

3 replies [Last post]
leannehehe's picture

Do you get days when you feel like nothing is right?
I felt OK earlier, but all of a sudden I am filled with a deep depression. It's the question that always pops into my head. What is the point of all of this? Why do living things exist at all?
I don't believe in God, as people think of a God anyway, so that argument is not in the question for me. It seriously depresses me sometimes how living organisms appear to be born for the sole purpose of reproducing and then they die. Where is the point in that?
People can say that 'you make your own purpose,' but I don't believe in free will, after rationalising all of the view points in my head it seems illogical that we should have free will. Ultimately everything is dependant on matter, so there cannot be free will, only the illusion of it. Where does that leave us? We are trapped in a cycle of living, but without a visible purpose.
I guess that also leads to the question of, 'should there be a purpose?'
Realising the limitations of our own capacity to understand the universe we live in is an awkward situation. We constantly 'prove,' new ideas though scientific methods, which are then interpreted as facts. A fact is not necessarily true. Recently an experiment has found that certain sub-atomic particles can travel faster than light. The implications of which are astounding. The law of relativity upon which so much of our 'factual,' scientific work is based would be wrong if this experiment is correct. The entire 'absolute,' nature of science, which many people have believed for so long has now come into question. Science has almost become a new religion, so to have it proved wrong is devastating to those who believe in it, and who trust it without doubt. I, myself have realised that it is not without fault, in fact science has many. In my quest to understand the environment in which I live, I feel that all science has given me is more questions.
What is it that makes life different to other constructions of atoms? Are there other planes of existence which we are not aware of that surround us all? How is it that we can, 'think' at all?
Thinking about these things makes me realise how little I understand, and will probably never understand. All of these questions are ultimately because I seek the answer to the question. 'Why are we here?'
All of the social rules we have to follow, the education we recieve, the money, wars, conversations, drawing, worrying, laughing. It all begins to seem ridiculous when you think the entirety of everything. Perhaps this is why I am not very good at holding a conversation with people about things that don't interest me. I guess I just don't see the point of listening. We take ourselves so seriously. What if we are all just one big joke, put here to enetertain some being on a different dimension? I can see them now, staring at us laughing, thinking to themselves, 'haha! they really believe they are special, they really believe that their lives are important and meaningful.'
It seems easier at this point to believe that there is no point, purely because there is no evidence to support there being a point. This is the result of being raised in a scientific era, you cannot believe something unless there is proof. How do you overcome this way of thinking?
I wonder if anybody has ever done a study into the links between depression and belief in science. Depression is becoming more and more common in today's society. Maybe there is actually a link between these two things, and maybe lack of belief in God also plays a part. Perhaps we were all better off believing that there was some sort of higher being up there looking out for us, and punishing us when we have done wrong.

SSmoothie's picture
You have the power of choice

You have the power of choice chose to be happy even for a moment and make it so,
You have a choice to be distracted by other things, if you don't choose this then you choose to love your suffering.depression is a disease of no appreciation. It's also too often an excuse to let things slide. To those that do- get off your ass and out of your mind and plunge into the world outside! even a fake smile alters your state, try it you can't help but feel your mood change. Stop the futile tracing of the same worn tracks come off the road abit and see what happens next your fake smile might just save someone's life. Maybe even the most important life of all... Hugs

Don't let any one shake your dream stars from your eyes, lest your soul Come away with them! -SS    

"Well, it's love, but not as we know it."

raeleyn's picture
I have depression so I can

I have depression so I can relate. I don't believe in God either. I think there are studies that show religious people are less likely to experience depression because they use there beliefs as a value system and as a coping mechanism. Religious people tend to see the brighter side of things and believe there's a purpose, a reason for everything that happens in their lives, bad or good. Honestly, I'm not sure if there's a purpose for us. Because would it really matter if the human race was wiped out? Mother Earth would still continue to turn and other organisms would still continue to live, die, and evolve without us. Everything would still continue to go on as if we never existed. So, why are we here? Well simply because we evolved from other forms of life, we have survival instincts, and keep reproducing. There is no other reason. Looking at the individual, not the entire human race, I think the only reason for being here is to experience a life with happiness, content, and satisfactory.

Raeleyn S.

SSmoothie's picture
You need a spiritual reason

You need a spiritual reason to shine. Religious and spiritual are two very different branches of the same tree. I agree most whole heartedly in your explanation with a few teaks of my own. Strong people are the people who have no belief in a better end and keep soldiering on through the cloud of depression, going on to find out if its true in the end even if out of pure curiosity. Hugs to you both.

Don't let any one shake your dream stars from your eyes, lest your soul Come away with them! -SS    

"Well, it's love, but not as we know it."