No Name

5 replies [Last post]
Go-a-Green-a's picture

I wrote this story to make the reader really think. The make the reader have to gather up all the clues to figure out what's happening, what did happen and what's going to. Basically, I was just trying to write a story you had to figure out, like it's just one piece of the puzzle.

No Name

I don't have a name. Don't need one. Call me Pain, call me Fear, call me Rage. Why should I have a name when all these words fit me so well? Why should I be mentioned? Why should I be known? I don't need no name. 

No one knows me. No one ever did (Not here). I intend to keep it that way. I wish to be invisible, to vanish when gazed upon. I don't want no more accusing eyes staring coldly into mine. Don't want no more fingers pointing, no more voices chattering, figures lingering, people staring, food slopped in buckets, torturing. Torture. It's torture! That's what it is! Torture!

Days are nights and nights are days as I pace in my cell, cold air and rain stab my face like needles. Like the needles jabbed into me during the peace-making. Like the needles.....

I'm staring at the sky. How odd. Its calm. Smooth and blue with wispy clouds of snowy white and a bright yellow sun. Happy. It looks happy. Why is it happy? Because THEY'RE happy? Because THEY deserve happiness and not I? I don't get it. Ain't got a clue.

Alone. Now I have a new foe. I fight with it every day. Loneliness.... I know they took him too. What did they do? Did they take him to another cell? Or somewhere else? Or.... or... or did they.... No. I can't think it. I can't, I CAN'T! But now I can't get it out of my head.

(Did they kill him?)

Please...no.....

No.

That's not true.

(But I know it is)

What time is it now? Is there even time at all anymore? It seems like it's all just a dark void. I'm falling. Falling. It's dark and deep and when I hit bottom.... When I hit bottom..... I blink and there they are. Pointing and laughing and accusing and questioning and haunting and lingering and-

I just hit bottom.

It hurts. Don't let anyone tell you it doesn't hurt when you hit. When your mind falls from your body and smashes across the stone. When you break. When insanity lifts you by the neck and all you can see is the pointing and laughing and lingering and... and.... the killing. When they came there was killing. There was war. There was capturing, then peace-making then more capturing and killing and-

"Murderers!" I shout but it's a quiet day and there's only one small child there to hear me.

The child stares at me, blinking its small blue eyes. "I'm not a murderer."

"You are. They all are."

"I'm not." It's got my attention now.

"You're not? How so?" I asked skeptically.

"I never killed anyone. Did you?" It looks at me innocently, eyes bright.

"I did. I killed once but not a murder. Self-defense." It didn't work, though....

"Then why are you here?"

"You don't get it do you? I shouldn't even be speaking. You're all the same. You all capture and torture and murder." I don't like breaking it to this kid but it should know.

"I could be different. I could free you. I could help you." It walked over, all of ten-years old but it had the keys to the lock. "My dad told me to hold them for him. He works here. I wanted a job. I guess I'm not very good at it." And with that it opened the cage and I stepped out. My first taste of the world outside the bars-

-And a by-standing human I had not noticed triggers the alarm.

They drag me away and I know death is next. I know I will die away from home. Far away on this planet of brutes known as humans. I will die alone but at least I will be away from my cage. Away from the Zoo.

As they drag me away I hear the child calling; "I just wanted to help!" Its face was shiny with tears. "I wanted to set you free!"

"I am free. Or at least I will be soon." I replied as they dragged me further and further away. "Thank you." The last was a whisper but I know the child heard me.

Perhaps there is hope for these creatures after all.

WolfLarsen's picture
The piece also reminds us

The piece also reminds us that there is so much injustice in this world. This piece does something that is difficult - it's great literature and it's a great protest - if that is what its intention was.

n/a
Go-a-Green-a's picture
Oh yes, this was a huge

Oh yes, this was a huge protest. I'm glad you got that, most people don't.

WolfLarsen's picture
Keep writing my friend. You

Keep writing my friend. You have a special style. Nobody writes like you, and that's just the way it should be.
This piece is intriguing.

n/a
Go-a-Green-a's picture
Thank you. That's the style I

Thank you. That's the style I end up with when I write the way I think.
so it does turn out a bit interesting. :)

Go-a-Green-a's picture
No Comments.

I would really love to get some feedback on this story but it doesn't look like anyone reads the Prose section here....