My Grandfather´s Piano

1 reply [Last post]
caroag's picture

My Grandfather´s Piano

Every Saturday since I was a little girl, all my mother´s family, her two brothers and two sisters (because one of her sisters lives in Austin) and their respective families go to my grandparent’s house to eat at four in the afternoon. There we see each other, and I can see all of my cousins, uncles, aunts and my grandparents at least once a week. Before we eat, my grandfather almost always plays some songs in the piano. When I was younger, we and some of my cousins that are now around my age, sat in the couch and listened to some songs while guessing the name of those songs. Now, my grandfather still does that with my younger cousins, and they really love to play that game.  The fact that he likes to play the piano and makes it so well (in my opinion) makes me remember him every time I hear someone playing the piano. Even thou there are only three out of twenty four grandsons that know actually how to play the piano, my grandfather sometimes likes to “teach” some easy songs, like if those were some easy piano lessons to some of my cousins. But this doesn’t mean he doesn`t care about his piano, he always uses it in a careful way and gives it maintenance to keep it in it best conditions. My mother told me that the piano that is in my grandparent’s house has approximately thirty years there, and before that one, there was another piano that she remembers playing when she was younger. Some of the best memories in my grandparent’s house include that piano. This is because, in some special occasions like Christmas, New Years Eve or in Summer when my aunt from Austin comes, we as a family often sing some songs while my grandfather is playing the piano. It is a very special moment, and since I have one uncle that loves to play the guitar and two cousins that really like to sing, we really enjoy doing this as a big family. My grandfather is one of the most important people in my life; he is very social and likes to meet new people wherever he goes to. One of the things that I really admire about him is that he learned to play the piano almost by himself. He took classes for like six months and then he started playing some songs that were easy and that he liked, and later he gained experience.

WolfLarsen's picture
There's a great fluidity in

There's a great fluidity in the writing here. And you know what? It almost feels like somebody's playing the piano - I mean the rhythm of the prose feels like piano playing!

Another interesting thing: the writer is posting from Mexico. Does this person speak English as a second language? If so, it's amazing that they can write so well! I mean, I've been speaking Spanish as a second language for over two decades and I can't write Spanish very well at all! And my Portuguese is even worse!

I think now it would be really interesting if this writer wrote about unusual things or other things that might be more interesting to the reader. You're lucky to have a nice family. But frankly it's more interesting to read about disturbing messed up families. So maybe you could pick something more interesting for people to read about.

Anyway, great writing!

n/a